Thursday, December 6, 2012

Wait, it's how cold?

Hello!

I'm sure you must be wondering why a girl from Pennsylvania has up and decided that in one month, she will move to a remote Alaskan village.  Well I'm here to tell you and to guide you through everything that I'm doing to prepare myself to head out there!

Let's start with...

WHY?
Why am I going to Alaska you ask?  Well let me tell you. 

About a month ago, I received an email from my college's Education department, with the heading "Job Opportunities in Alaska."  So, not having a job at the time, or even now for that matter, I open it up and read about the opportunity to be a tutor for the Lake and Peninsula School District.  I was super excited about the idea.  I remember saying to my mom "What if the reason I didn't get a job right out of college is because I was meant to do this?"  So I immediately emailed the head of HR saying that I was interested in the position and I set up an interview.  Two weeks later I interviewed with 3 representatives from the school district at my alma mater, Mansfield University.  The interview went so well. 

I remember being super nervous going in; I knew they were looking for teachers in Technology, English, Math and Reading and I have a degree in Music Education.  Nevertheless, about 4 days after my interview the superintendant called me to offer me the job!!  To say I was relieved would be an understatement although, I did not immediately accept the job.  I had another interview lined up with a school in New Hope, PA (outside Philly).  I told LPSD that I needed just a little time to decide and they were very gracious and gave me two weeks to think about it before I said yes.  I interviewed at the other school, and I also think that went well, but I didn't really seem to have the same chemistry like I did with the Alaska interview. 

The day after my interview in New Hope, I called the superintendant to say that I would be very honored to accept the job in Alaska.

THAT'S GREAT SARAH, BUT NOW WHAT?

Now, I am trying to piece together what my life will be like when I'm out there.  All the details of my school and housing are not totally finalized, but I do have some basic information. 

I will be living in Kokhanok, AK.

 
At the time of the 2010 census, there were 170 people living there. (Soon to be lucky 171!)  It is located on the south shore of Iliamna Lake.  The nearest major city is Anchorage which can only be reached by plane.  (Did I mention that there are no roads in Alaska?  You have to get anywhere by plane or boat).
 
 
TRAVELING
My flight plans have yet to be finalized (the school district is taking care of all that), but it will probably take anywhere from 11-14 hours to get to Anchorage.  You cannot get a direct flight, you have to make at least one connecting flight.  I will be spending 4 days in Anchorage in training, shopping ect.  I will be staying at the Alyeska Resort (http://www.alyeskaresort.com/) for two days and then we move to Anchorage for shopping, then I get flown out to Kokhanok.
 
 
SHOPPING
You have to buy groceries and supplies months at a time, since there are no stores where I'll be living.  What's it like trying to figure out 3 months worth of groceries?  Daunting.  Here is a (tentative) list of what (I think) I'll need:
 
  • 15 boxes of cereal
  • Milk (powdered, or permalat, I'm not sure)
  • 4 lbs of butter
  • 30 pkgs Ramen noodles
  • 30 boxes mac and cheese
  • tuna fish
  • peanut butter
  • chips/pretzels/snacks?
  • drink mix (iced tea or something)
  • bread (I'm thinking 10 loaves)
  • sliced cheese
This is just the beginning of my list, it will surely need additions, but I'm still figuring all this out.  I might see if I can buy lunch at school.  For me, that would be a lot easier if I could worry about one less meal most days.
 
THINGS TO BUY
Next week my grandpa and I are headed to the Cabelas store to get me a nice pair of winter boots.  I need something that will survive the temperatures out there.  After all, I'm going to Alaska in the winter.  (Port Alsworth is the nearest city that the thermometer could locate)
 
 
That is not the coldest I have seen it, it's been -11 more than once.
 
AREN'T YOU A LITTLE NERVOUS TO BE DOING THIS BY YOURSELF?
Well, sure.  But I don't think being nervous or scared is a good reason not to do something.  I'm looking at this experience as an amazing opportunity to learn about a new way of life, and to actually make some money doing it and doing what I love.  (If you missed my adventures out in Window Rock, AZ you can check it all out here). 
 
 
I look forward to telling you all about my (sure to be) amazing adventures in "The Last Frontier" :)
 
Until then,
Sarah
 


1 comment:

  1. Sarah, I am beyond excited for you! Also I am incredibly jealous of what a cool opportunity this is. <3 I'll miss you so much!

    ReplyDelete