Monday, March 4, 2013

One fish, two fish. Akutak.

I am progressively getting better at cooking things.  I don't know when it happened, but I am actually capable of cooking things that resembles the food normal human beings eat!

It all started when my principal gave me a salmon to take home.  I decided that I was going to cook it last night, and so I did.  However, I forgot to take it out of the freezer.  So I decide that I'm going to soak it in a warm water bath while I wash the dishes and make rice krispie treats.

The rice krispie treats went really well.  I had zero troubles making those.  Although, I didn't have baking pans to put them in, I had to press them in to ziplock containers.
I had a little bit of nutella left, so I thought I would put that on top.
That did not go as well as I planned.  I put it in my already hot saucepan, thinking it would thin it out so I could drizzle it on top.
It worked for about a minute, and then it just got really thick and it didn't really spread the way I thought it would.  Whatever, it was good.

So by this time, I had soaked the salmon for about an hour.  And it was mostly thawed, except that it wasn't all the way thawed.  I decided whatever, I'm cooking it anyway.

I seasoned it with some all purpose seasoning, salt, pepper and oil.  I baked it at 350 for about 20 minutes (since it wasn't all the way thawed.) 


Then I served it over rice.


It was really good.
Then! Yesterday, some of my students stopped by and they brought me this.
It's called akutak and it's made with berries, crisco, sugar and trout. 
Now, I sort of know what you're thinking.  Trout?  Yes, trout.  It doesn't really taste like fish at all, it just tastes really sweet.  It almost tastes like sherbet.  It has the same consistency, anyway.
Sheralyn is the one who made it for me!

It's been a good week.  This weekend is carnival.  They'll be hundreds of people here in the village for all the festivites.  There's a craft fair, talent show, they'll have races, dances, and goodies to buy and sell and EAT!  This week at school we've been cooking up all kinds of things to sell to help sponsor our class trip.
Look for a post this weekend which will detail carnival.  Should be very exciting! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment