Tuesday, February 26, 2013

What am I doing with goats on a leash?


You may be wondering that.  Well.
One of my students told me in her tutoring session today that she was going to take the goats (at my principals house) for a walk after school and I told her that I would like to come along and help.  I was super excited about this,  I had never met the goats.  The boy is Boots, the one directly in front of me is Gracie and the other one is Pan.

So my student, Elayna, and I go out walking the goats (you met Elayna in the last post).  Just a nice short walk around.  Well, on the way back I had an...um...interesting experience.  I cannot explain why it happened then of all moments, but Boots kept trying to mount Pan.  I just could not believe this was happening while I was with one of my students and I had no idea how to handle this situation.  Put this on the list of: Things They Don't Tell You When You Are Getting An Education Degree.

Then we make it back home and we feed the goats and change their water and feed the chickens and change their water and collect the eggs and put them in the house.  Overall, a mostly uneventful animal care experience.

So after I help take care of the animals, I take Elayna back home and I head back to the school where I run in to my principal.  He asks me if I want to go on a snow-mobile ride and I say heck yeah I do!  So about a half-hour later he picks me up and we head out.  We drive over in to what's called the Twin Lakes region of Kokhanok and, of course, it's beautiful and peaceful.  My principal takes me for a walk around he talks to me about the wildlife and we look for animal tracks.
The only animal we found was a spruce hen.  It had really excellent camouflage.  See if you can find it in this picture:

Then we drive home and he has me over for dinner.  He pulls this salmon fillet out of the giant freezer.
Then we season it up and bake it.  The top one is the one my principal made, it had cayenne pepper, coconut oil, garlic salt (and something else?).  His was more of a salmon experiment.  I opted for the more traditional approach and I did the bottom one.  I put lemon pepper seasoning, some olive oil, and a little bit of salt.  We baked them for 15 minutes.  The longer you bake salmon the mushier it gets and I like my salmon to be quite firm.  Both cuts of salmon turned out delicious.
It was paired with: quinoa with jalapenos and sundried tomatoes and spaghetti squash which I put butter and salt on.
It was just such an excellent meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment