Sunday, February 17, 2013

A Call for Recipes

Today was full of cooking and so I was reminded of how positively inept I am in the kitchen.

Before I started cooking I preheated the oven because my over takes about 20 minutes to heat.

While I'm waiting for that, I decided to have a granola bar, because I was starving.  And I needed to eat before I could cook anything.
Then I decided I could no longer ignore the stack of dishes in the sink, and my oven was still preheating anyway.
Then after doing the dishes I was still hungry so I finished the Dorito's.  Because why shouldn't you keep eating snacks while you're making dinner?
So then it's time for the actual cooking!
Here's a mini-cooking show that I filmed.  I call it:

Making Breadcrumbs


The final result ended up looking like this:
Then I picked out the big pieces
Added some seasoning
And also some pepper
So I put my chicken in the egg mixture and then in the bread crumbs and then put it in a pan to fry.  It was frying in the pan really nicely and then I cut it in half and it was still pink in the middle.  So then I got really nervous and I put it in the oven to finish cooking.  I started to get really nervous though, when it started leaking mysterious chicken goo?  See that white bit that is in the middle of the photo? I have no idea what that is. But after about 30 minutes in the oven it was no longer pink in the middle so I considered it safe to eat.

While the chicken was waiting in the oven, I decided to make more coffee creamer.
This time I got to use sweetened condensed milk (cuz my mom sent me some).  Sweetened condensed milk is essentially milk sludge, but it tastes delicious and I can't wait to use it in my coffee creamer tomorrow.

So I was still left with one chicken breast and I couldn't decide what to do.  I didn't really want to do another fried chicken, and I was really attached to the idea of stir fry.  Well, I don't really know how to make stir fry chicken, but luckily my mom sent me this little packet 
So I cut up the chicken, stir fried it, put in some left over frozen vegetables that I had cooked about a week ago
And I added some rice that I made a few days ago and viola!
And after a meal as delicious as that one, I had to take a little baby nap.

Here's the part, my loyal followers, that I need help with.  I need more ideas about how to eat the food that I have.  Here is what I am equipped with:

  • Ground Beef
  • Chicken Breasts
  • About 2 dozen bagels
  • Butter
  • Eggs (or egg substitute)
  • Rice
  • Spaghetti Sauce
  • Pasta
  • Mac and Cheese
  • Ramen Noodles
  • Oil
  • Flour
  • Sugar
  • Seasoning
  • Instant Mashed Potatoes
  • Frozen Veggies
  • Frozen Fruit
  • Frozen Pizza Crust
  • Sliced Processed American Cheese
  • Applesauce
  • Chicken Gravy 
  • About 5 loaves of bread
  • Cereal
  • Soup

And anything not on this list, I might be able to beg/borrow/buy from somewhere or someone, so you are not totally confined to everything in this list.  

You can send me your recipes however you like, but please include directions about how to cook the items, because I have no idea how to cook even the most basic things (i.e. chicken).


Much love from Alaska!













No comments:

Post a Comment