Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Going Cross Country and What I ate for lunch

Today was spent mostly in meetings that helped fill us in on village life, the grant that brought all the tutors to Alaska, and some teaching techniques that will help us when we get to the village.  It was all very nice, but I have to tell you what I had for lunch today.

The soup was a seafood chowder, if you look closely behind the salad there's a piece of fried halibut, the thing with the green beans was salmon, potatoes and green beans in a lemon hollandaise sauce, cauliflower and carrots, reindeer sausage (YOU HEARD ME.  REINDEER. SAUSAGE) and the piece de resistance, elk sliders.  Personally, I liked the elk meat the best, it was very tender and delicious.


After lunch was more meetings, and then at night we had some free time.  Some of the other tutors and teachers and I decided to go cross country skiing during this free time.  In the past, I had been downhill skiing and that's like totally the same thing right?  

Incorrect.  I thought getting on ski's would be just like riding a bike.  It is not, mes amis.  First of all, cross country skis and downhill ski's are not the same thing (who knew?)  So I get on these things and I barely have control.  I thought I remembered how to stop on ski's and I did not remember.  There was a lot of falling.  (Quick funny story, I watched a lot of figure skating when I was little.  Whenever the skater would fall, we would call that 'butt skating' in our house.  I did a lot of 'butt skiing' today.)  I do not regret one second however, because the views were so phenomenal that I was able to get amazing pictures.




Tomorrow is full of more meetings, I might go cross country skiing again, I might try snowshoeing or I might just come back to the room and take a nap.  

Life is good right now.




No comments:

Post a Comment