Saturday, January 19, 2013

Welcome to Kokhanok!

I took a walk around the village today.  There's a small loop that goes around the whole village and so I just walked around that.  It wasn't too cold today, so I was fine.

Here's the post office:


Here's the Russian Orthodox Church (I'm told they only have service about once a month):

Here's the VPSO (Village Public Safety Office):

And here's Kokhanok General Store:

That's pretty much the town.  There's also a clinic, and I can't tell if it's a people clinic or a veterinary clinic.  I'm pretty sure it's a people clinic.


Reasons why Friday was the best day ever.  

I got all my totes and a package from my mom!!!



Now, remember how stressed I was about packing these totes?  It all went away when I remembered everything that was in them.  It was like Christmas times 5!  There was so much stuff in these totes.

There was Snapple, which I was excited about because I had been drinking nothing but water.


I also had some clothes in my totes, so now my wardrobe is more expansive.

And if you're wondering about the kitchen knife in the top left corner, that was the only way to get my totes open because they were zip tied shut.


I now have a pitcher to make my powdered lemonade.  It was filled with mac and cheese powdered cheese as well as some mac and cheese bags.

I wish I had more pictures of the unpacking process but my camera's dying, so I don't.

After I had at least put everything on the counter, I had to clean up the living room.


After unpacking everything, here's what my freezer looks like now:


I now have three drawers full of cereal:


A drawer full of macaroni and cheese:


Shelves filled with mac and cheese and soup:


Shelves full of Ramen (which I don't have a picture of because my camera died by then).

Oatmeal, sauce and shacks:


More snacks and my army of milk:


Sauces, powdered cocoa and sugar:


I also have enough toilet paper for a small army.

Here's some food questions that I need answers to:
1.  You're supposed to freeze butter, right? (same with bread)
2.  My cream cheese is separating, there's watery stuff on the bottom and curds towards the top, does this mean it's gone bad?  I put it in the freezer, is this bad?  Am I going to get e. coli from eating spoiled cream cheese (because I've definitely been eating it)?

I'll end this post with a humorous story.   I got a coffee pot from one of the other apartments that isn't being used right now.  So I bring this coffee pot home along with some filters I found and me, being not an idiot, decide I'm going to make coffee.  So I put the filter in, put the coffee in, measure the water, and assume that all will be well.  Well I come back a few minutes later and there's not as much coffee in the pot as I feel like there should be.  So I decide to give it a few more minutes.  Well when I come back my coffee pot has exploded.  Not like, the glass part, that was still intact.  But the part where the filter is isn't letting the water come down into the pot so instead it bubbled over onto everywhere.  It made the biggest mess.  Coffee grounds and coffee and water everywhere.  It was horrible.  So I'm going to try a different coffee filter and see if that solves it, otherwise I'm going to assume that my coffee pot has just had enough and it's time to bite the dust.

This is why I should never be left in a kitchen by myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment