Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Reading teacher, math teacher, music teacher, DJ and school bus driver

I know when I first started telling people that I got this job, there was some confusion about what I would be doing.  I've attached a copy of my schedule and hopefully my job here will start to make some more sense.



So in the morning I help in the elementary reading classroom.  Every group of students is constantly rotating through different stations.  I will have a station, their teacher has a station and usually the other group will be on the computer.  The other day I helped first grade learn about words that end with s and m, as well as the short a sound.  Then I helped second grade with their journal entries about what they did this past weekend.  Then I helped kindergarteners trace their letters on the SmartBoard.  And that's just one day for one class period.

Then I go into math class which also has multiple grades contained in one class period.  So I pulled out a student who is learning different material from the rest of the kids and we learned (well, he learned, I taught) about fractions and decimals and today we learned how fractions and decimals can be applied to money.

Then I have lunch.

After lunch, I either tutor some students with their reading fluency or I go to high school and help those students.  After that, most days, I have a student who comes in and we work on her reading and writing.

The PEP time is a really cool time where I get to teach music during the school day.  It's a half-hour and I have five students who range from grades 3-5.  What PEP stands for is Personalized Education Plan.  Basically, the students come up with some project that they're going to complete based on the standards they need to accomplish.  So we took all the students who need to do PEP projects during this time and we split them up.  There was no way one teacher could monitor 13 students who are each doing individual projects.  So those 13 students are split up between PEP with their teacher, music with me, or net repairs with another teacher.  I will have the same students 4 days a week for the next 4 weeks.  It's a really cool opportunity for me to teach music to students who are maybe too intimidated to come to lessons after school (or think that they're too cool for music....)

Then after school you can see I am hosting a variety of after school activities.  On Monday, Wednesday and Friday I teach music lessons (piano, guitar and voice).  I've had a pretty good turn-out so far, so I'm pretty excited.  Then on Tuesday I am pioneering the Video Journalism club.  What do I know about videography or journalism you may be asking.... Nothing.  I know essentially nothing on either of those topics, but I'm excited.  We're going to be making a video about what it's like to live in Kokhanok.  Then on Thursday I'm the new advisor for the Radio Club.  We're going to make playlists and play music and host a radio show on our school radio station 88.5 KROK.  What do I know about hosting a radio show or the technology that goes into such a thing?  Once again, nothing.  But I'm not going to let that stop me.  I'm smart and capable and you can look up just about anything on the internet.  So never anyone fear, I'm going to make this work!

Oh, and did I mention that I'm also the bus driver at the end of the day (see the title of this post)?  Whenever students are done with me  and they need a ride home, I get the key to the ENORMOUS Ford Expedition and I drive my kids home after lessons and clubs.  This is how small town living works.  I actually really enjoy it at the end of the day.

Well, it's time to go for today.  I'm starving.


No comments:

Post a Comment